Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Lentil & Wild Rice Salad

It's in my nature to continue to change, progress, and cure my curiosity. Whether that's a flaw or an attribute, it's present in every aspect of my life. My family likes to joke that I wake up one day wanting to be an astronaut, and the next I'll express my desire to be a goat farmer, or something like that. Funny as it sounds, it's an accurate observation. While it may be helpful that I continue to progress in my career, the hankering to take on new work is a hindrance. Whenever I have a logical moment, I realize that chasing the bunnies is no good. That I'd probably be far more successful at this point if I stuck to one thing for a substantial amount of time. However, those logical moments don't last long before I'm off chasing another bunny.
 
 

 
 
 
Same goes for food. I know I could become an expert in one type of cuisine if I cooked for that purpose every day. Some days, I'm sure I'm a classic American cook and I always will be. I might have even told you that before. But lets be honest, tomorrow I will be certain I was born to cook German fare or maybe an expert in Italian cookery. Some weeks, I prep my meals ahead of time and cook from a list of tried and true recipes. Other weeks, I'm extremely outgoing and adventurous and live out a new kick I'm on through food.
 
 
 
 
 
I can go on and on with this post. I could go have a cup of coffee, come back and write a paragraph about some things I cook every week. Then again, I could go make breakfast and come back to write a paragraph about how my meals are never the same. I realize this is making me sound loony. I assure you, I'm not. However, this salad kind of is. That's the point I was getting to- I have a wild and crazy salad recipe for you! I created it on an adventurous whim from leftover ingredients and a few dried goods found in my pantry. On some sort of kick, dying to eat something new and exciting, this salad was born. Sometimes, it can be an entrĂ©e salad. Other times, it can be a side dish. Whatever mood you're in, this salad is always good.
 
 
 
 
LENTIL & WILD RICE SALAD
 
1 Cup dried lentils
1 Cup dried wild rice
1/2 Cup (or more, if you wish) chopped fresh mint
2 Cups red seedless grapes
salt and pepper
1/4 Cup olive oil
1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
1 Cup goat feta, crumbled
 
  • Cook the lentils and the rice following package directions. When fully cooked, place in a bowl together and refrigerate until cooled completely.
  • Once cooled completely, add salt, pepper, feta, mint, grapes, olive oil, and vinegar. Toss to combine. Serve cold.
  • This recipe makes a large amount of salad. Will feed a family of 4 allowing plenty for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment