Monday, September 22, 2014

How to Stock a Grain-Free Kitchen




Now that I've told you my story about going grain-free, I thought I'd offer up my tips for keeping a grain-free kitchen. Anytime you take on a new lifestyle, it calls for cleaning out your kitchen and stocking up with new ingredients to match. Switching from gluten-free to grain-free is an easy transition. There are just a few more items to restrict but, for the most part my kitchen remains the same.

Along with all of my programs, I send my clients a "grocery list". Essentially, it's a list of what to keep in their home at all times. As you know, some household items are purchased monthly, while others are purchased weekly. Same goes for this list. When starting out, it seems like a lot. Once you're in the swing of things, it's actually a fairly simple and budget-friendly list.

I've also spoke before on my very tight grocery budget. While this list might be a starting point that you'll add to, for me it's exactly what I create my daily dishes with. Besides special menu items for my Husband, this is the extent of what I buy and is what my diet is made up of. It's how I stay healthy. It works for me! And I hope it can benefit you as well. Check it out...

GRAIN-FREE PANTRY

  • Almond flour 
  • Coconut flour 
  • Baking soda
  • Aluminum-free Baking powder 
  • Chia Seeds
  • Ground flaxseeds
  • Sunflower seeds 
  • Nuts (excluding peanuts) 
  • Coconut flakes, unsweetened 
  • Dried fruits, no sugar added 
  • Nut butters (excluding peanut butter) 
  • Cocoa powder
  • Pure vanilla extract 
  • Broths 
  • Enjoy Life chocolate chips 
  • Local raw honey
  • Pure maple syrup 
  • Olive oil
  • Vinegar
  • Sea salt 
  • Dried herbs
  • Spices 
  • Your favorite fruit and nut bar 
  • Grain-free granola 
  • Canned tomatoes 
  • Canned tomato sauce 
  • Canned tomato paste 
  • Wine for cooking 
  • Canned tuna 
  • Canned salmon
  • Canned sardines
  • Canned smoked herring 
  • Olives 
  • Canned pumpkin 
  • Arrowroot startch 
  • Sweet Potato Chips 
  • Plantain Chips 
  • Tea 
  • Coffee
  • Black beans
  • Garbanzo beans 
GRAIN-FREE PRODUCE BOWL 
These items sit in a bowl on top of my kitchen counter. 
  • Lemons 
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Spaghetti Squash
  • Zucchini 
  • Tomatoes
  • Oranges
  • Bananas
  • Seasonal fruit
  • Peppers
GRAIN-FREE REFRIGERATOR 
  • Pasture butter
  • Ghee
  • Spinach
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Kale or swiss chard 
  • Eggs 
  • Beets 
  • Berries if in season 
  • Almond milk
  • Organic condiments with no sugar added 
  • Stewed fruit 
  • Mushrooms 
  • Wild caught salmon 
  • Fennel and parsley, if the budget permits 
GRAIN-FREE FREEZER 
  • Bananas 
  • Berries
  • Frozen vegetables 
  • Peas 
  • Wild game 
  • Marinara sauce 
  • Against The Grain Gourmet's grain-free rolls 
  • Almond milk ice cream, if the budget permits 
  • Leftovers 
EXTRA-TIPS 
  • I keep everything in glass containers and brown paper bags. 
  • I use homemade cleaners to sanitize my kitchen. Mostly, vinegar, lemons, and salt. 
  • I keep a separate shelf in the pantry for my Husband, as I respect his decision to eat grains. 
  • I freeze ALL leftovers. You never know when you can use something. It saves money! 
  • It helps to have all of the necessary kitchen equipment and tools. 
  • If you purchase story bought packaged foods, read the labels! 

Go check out my grain-free granola recipe at Mother Earth Living and start your grain-free kitchen makeover today! Also, keep following me here and on social media for more tips! 

No comments:

Post a Comment